*Home>>>AIDS Information

Financial aid &VA education benefits,...?

I plan to attend college this fall. And I have a few questions about financial aid and so forth.

I'm a 'disabled' veteran. I was medically discharged from the military due to a fractured back. Anyway,.
I am being awarded VA education benefits under Chapter 30. I'm recieving roughly 800 dollars a month for 6 months.

How will this affect my financial aid?

The VA benefits will last a little over a semester. If I don't qualify for the pell grant due to this, will I qualify for the following semester? Can it be split up like that?

I didn't need my parents' tax information for the FAFSA information because I'm a veteran. So my EFC is a little over 4000. Will I qualify for the pell grant even?

Also. My FAFSA report states that I might qualify for the Academic Competitiveness Grant. What exactly is that?


Okay, VA benefits and Financial Aid in combo is complicated, so you really need to check with your Financial Aid Counselor at the school where you plan to attend.

That being said, Veteran's benefits do not affect Pell grant. You are close to the Pell cut off, so you might get a small Pell grant....hard to say. If your income in 2008 is significantly lower than your income in 2007, you can ask your Financial Aid Counselor to take that into consideration, and you might get a larger Pell Grant.

Veteran's benefits do affect the other types of aid, so again, talk to your FA Counselor to see what's the best thing to do in your particular situation.

The Academic Competiveness Grant is a special grant for first and second year students who have done very well academically. You will need to provide your high school transcripts to either the admissions office (if you haven't already) or the Financial Aid Office, depending upon who determines eligibility for this particular grant.

Good luck to you!

Yes you can get the extra money. Go to the American Legion and ask for a service Rep. They are trained to help. Good luck and thanks for your fine service.

Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG):
Grant: does not have to be repaid
For undergraduates receiving Pell Grants who are U.S. citizens enrolled full-time in their first or second academic year* of study.
For first academic year* students who have completed a rigorous secondary school program of study, graduated from high school after Jan. 1, 2006, and have not been
previously enrolled in an undergraduate program. First academic year* students: up to $750.00

You said you got your "fafsa report". I'm assuming this is your SAR (student aid report). It will tell you... (if you read it all the way to the end), if you qualify for a Pell grant. Something like, "Based on the information, and if all the information is correct you will -or will not- be eligible for a federal Pell grant".

Generally folks who's EFC's are above "around" 4000 are not eligible for Pell grants. If you are not eligible for the Pell, then you will not be eligible for the Academic com. Grant. (see above).

Pell grants and fin aid benefits are calculated on a yearly basis. So if your SAR indicates you are not eligible for the Pell now, you will not be eligible for it in the spring regardless of you receiving VA benefits or not.

I would encourage you to read through the SAR to be sure your answer to question number 46 and 47 are correct:

If you receive veterans鈥?education benefits, for how many months from July 1, 2008, through June 30, 2009, will you receive these benefits? Use 01 to 12. (Q46)
What is the amount of your monthly veterans鈥?education benefits? (Q47)

It sounds like you might need to make sure this info is right....

  AIDS Information   HIV AIDS   AIDS Drug   AIDS Research   AIDS Transmission   AIDS Cure   AIDS Treatment
Related information
  • GI Bill????

    Fact is that the GI Bill is a monster. If you truly want the correct answers to all your questions then you really should call your local VA office.

  • Will portuguese police????????

    This is offensive and doesn't hold any water. I have no idea what your hidden agenda is, but considering the present leader of the world championship of spin, it's probably McCann relate...

  • I'm unsure of how to file my fafsa application. I am legally separated from my husband as of 1/2008.?

    You will not have to include your husband's income if you are separated. You only use your income information for the year 2007. This process can be complicated because you are looking at li...

  • Russia, foreign aid, hunger, poverty...?

    Russian food problems are mainly those: 1) Too much land too little good land. The half of Russia is an ice-field where food can grow poorly. But still people live there and they need food. For ex...

  • Russie, foreign aid, poverty, hunger...?

    On russia's poverty reminds of the nuke accident they had over there, its still a waste land to this day and alot of the poor live in that area, you can probably find something on that here on...

  • Plastic Tree?

    "Plastic Tree" band myspace ...

  • Hiring a College Financial Advisor - where to turn?

    I wouldn't pay for a CFP its just gonna cost you more. Have you done FASFA? age don't matter its all about the income. I can help more let me know about FASFA. All colleges have advisors ...

  • Boron stablizing M23C6 carbides?

    Boron has a powerful effect on the transformation kinetics in steels, so there is a large change in hardenability with small additions (even in low carbon steels). This is mainly concerned with la...


    Categories--Copyright/IP Policy--Contact Webmaster