1. What is significant about the yearly flooding of the Nile Valley?
The floods typically killed many people, making it hard to live in the valley; most people moved to the mountains above the riverbed.
It is the only geographic disadvantage of the area.
It replenished the nutrients in the soil, making the valley very fertile.
It prompted the Egyptians to build enormous pyramids to escape the floodwaters.
2. What area of Egypt is known as 鈥淯pper Egypt?鈥?
The northern area
The southern area
The eastern area
The western area
3. The Old Kingdom, Middle Kingdom, and New Kingdom are significant because:
they span the entire history of ancient Egypt
they span the entire history of Egypt, from ancient times until the present
they are the only periods of Egyptian history during which the pharaohs ruled the land
they represent the periods of peace and prosperity during which the arts flourished the most
4. During the Old Kingdom, the Egyptians invented and used ________________, a type of paper made from a plant by the same name.
5. Which era of Egypt marked the appearance of the pyramids?
The Central Kingdom
The New Kingdom
The Old Kingdom
The Middle Kingdom
6. The pyramid at Saqqara is different from the pyramids at Giza in which of the following ways?
It is larger.
It was built at a later date.
It is a step pyramid.
It was built during the Old Kingdom.
7. For what purpose were the pyramids built?
as temples devoted to the Egyptian gods and goddesses
as barracks for the Egyptian armies
as tombs for the pharaohs
as natural barriers to keep out enemies
8. Which of the following religious beliefs of the Egyptians helps explain the construction of the pyramids?
They worshipped the sun; therefore they build pyramids pointing directly at the sun.
They believed in an afterlife in which the preservation of the body was important.
They believed that the ka 鈥?a person鈥檚 soul 鈥?would escape after death unless confined to a dark chamber within a pyramid.
They believed that the gods could reside only in the most magnificent of temples.
9. In which of the following ways did Egyptian pharaohs differ from kings of other cultures?
They were absolute rulers.
They were considered gods.
They were considered immortal.
They passed their kingship to their sons.
10. Which of the following was NOT among the ways that the invention of papyrus helped to advance Egyptian society?
It gave them a way to document and communicate important information.
It gave them a medium for artwork, writing, and government administration.
It helped to preserve the body as part of the mummification process.
It aided communication and collaboration on large building projects.
The answers, in order:
1) It replenished the nutrients in the soil, making the valley very fertile.
2) The northern area
3) They represent the periods of peace and prosperity during which the arts flourished the most
5) The Old Kingdom
6) It is a step pyramid.
7) as tombs for the pharaohs
8) They believed in an afterlife in which the preservation of the body was important.
9) They were considered gods.
10) It helped to preserve the body as part of the mummification process.
These should be the answers that get you marks.